Send me a FREE trial issue Plus a FREE gift
Old-House Online » Old-House Tips, Restoration Stories, & More » Gardens & Exteriors » Victorian Ornamentation Glossary

Victorian Ornamentation Glossary

The Victorian era marked the pinnacle of exterior ornamentation. Here are 10 of the most common decorations you'll see on houses of this period. By Clare M. Alexander

    Bargeboard or vergeboard


    Also known as a vergeboard, this is the board that runs along the projecting edges of a gable. Bargeboards generally have either decorative carving or lacy cutouts, and were most popular on Gothic Revival cottages, though they’re commonly found on Stick Style and Queen Anne houses, too.

    Brackets on an Italianate cornice and window


    Broadly speaking, a bracket is any small structural member that bridges the right angle between a horizontal and a vertical element. Most Victorian brackets are purely decorative; they’re commonly found along the cornices of Italianates, and in the corners of porch posts on gingerbread-laden Queen Anne, Stick Style, Gothic Revival, and Folk Victorian houses.

    Roof cresting on a Second Empire house


    Cresting refers to the cast iron line of ornamentation that runs along the ridge or around the perimeter of a roof in a repeating pattern. Cresting is most frequently found on Second Empire houses, where the flat-topped mansard roof provides the ideal showcase for this linear element.

    Finials on a Gothic Revival house


    A finial is any ornament (typically pointed) that decorates the apex of an object. On Victorian exteriors, finials are commonly found on the gable points of Gothic Revival houses (as at left), on Italianate cupolas, or on Queen Anne turrets.



    This is the technical term for the textured shingle patterns used to clad the exterior walls of Queen Anne houses. The technique combined multiple decorative shingle cuts—including square, round, fish-scale, acorn, and diamond—to produce eye-catching patterns often highlighted by contrasting paint colors.

    Spandrel on a Victorian porch


    In exterior millwork terms, a spandrel is the decorative panel that spans the opening between the tops of two columns, often with rounded corners that create an arch shape. Spindlework or jigsawn spandrels are often found on the porches of Carpenter Gothic, Stick Style, Queen Anne, and Folk Victorian houses.

    Spindlework on a Folk Victorian cottage


    Also referred to as “gingerbread,” spindlework is the lace-like and lathe-turned woodwork often used to decorate Stick Style, Queen Anne, and Folk Victorian houses. Recognizable by a series of thin columns interrupted by bead-like circular elements, spindlework is typically found in porch details such as balustrades, posts, and brackets.

    Stickwork on the Emlen Physick House


    This term refers to the flat, linear ornament applied—usually in intersecting vertical, horizontal, or diagonal patterns—to the exterior walls of a building. As its name suggests, stickwork is primarily found on Stick Style houses (though it sometimes bears a resemblance to the half-timbering found on Tudor Revivals and early Queen Annes).

    Italianate window crown

    Window Crown

    Also known as a hood, this is the decorative trim that covers the top of a window. Most commonly found on Italianates and Second Empires, window crowns can take many forms—arched, square, pedimented—and are often embellished with decorative flourishes like brackets and pendants.

    Published in: Old-House Journal December/January 2013

    Get your FREE Trial Issue of Old House Journal and 2 FREE gifts.
    Yes! Please send me a FREE trial issue of Old House Journal and 2 FREE gifts.
    If I like it and decide to continue, I'll get 7 more issues (8 in all) for just $24.95, a savings of 48%. If for any reason I decide not to continue,
    I'll write cancel on the invoice and owe nothing. The Free Trial Issue is mine to keep, no matter what.
     Full Name:
     Address 1:
     Address 2:
     Zip Code:
     Email (req):
    Offer valid in US only.
    Click here for Canada or here for international subscriptions

    Products & ServicesHouse ToursHistoric PlacesHouse StylesOldHouseOnline.comMagazine
    Architectual ElementsKitchen & BathsHistoric HotelsArchitectural TermsRepairs & How ToSubscribe to Old-House Journal
    BathsInterior & DécorHistoric NeighborhoodsAmerican FoursquareFree NewslettersBack Issues
    Ceilings & WallsGardens & ExteriorsHouse MuseumsBungalowSubscribe to Arts & Crafts HomesDigital Editions
    Doors & WindowsColonial RevivalOld House CommunityAdvertise
    Exterior Products & LandscapeGothicAbout Us 
    FlooringQueen AnneContact Us 
    FurnitureVictorianPrivacy Policy
    HardwareLand for Sale
    Heating & CoolingSite Map
    Home Décor
    Period Lighting
    Real Estate
    Repair & Restoration
    Roofing & Siding
    Tools & Equipment

    Designer Sourcw e bookHistoric Home Show Logo

    Copyright © 2011-2017 Old House Online